Monday, November 27, 2006

Fried Green Tomatoes

I finally saw it. After years of it being out there. On cable. On VHS. On DVD. Our TiVo recorded it as a suggestion, and Scott and I watched it this evening.

I had read a little about it in the book Captivating, so I was interested in seeing the changes in Kathy Bates's character, Evelyn Couch. I like Kathy Bates in general, despite the fact that she was so creepy in Misery, and it was definitely entertaining to see her demolishing a wall in her house and smashing that red VW Bug convertible with her car.

And I like Mary Stuart Masterson. I was first introduced to her in Some Kind of Wonderful, with Eric Stoltz and Lea Thompson. A great film about the highs and lows of love in high school. You gotta love those girl drummers.

I have to say though, that in this movie I saw glimpses of other movies that I know and love much better. The going back and forth between now and then reminded me of How to Make an American Quilt, which will always have five stars in my estimation. And the female friendship storyline reminded me of Beaches, and how can you top that, really.

Overall, I'm glad I can say that I've seen Fried Green Tomatoes.

But I'll still probably never eat them.

4 comments:

Heather said...

This is one of my favorite movies!
Towanda!!

Faithful Joy said...

The scenes with Evelyn trying to get her husband's attention make me glad I am not married! At least for a few seconds...

Welcome back from MI, did you have a good time?

Cool new look!

Lifetime Dieter said...

Wow. We have the same taste in movies. Some kind of wonderful is a fav of mine too.

Have you seen Stranger than Fiction yet? I think you would like it.

Anonymous said...

I have seen Stranger than Fiction, and I did enjoy it. Will Ferrell did a great job and I love seeing movies where they show just how weird we writers are when we're trying to put a story together.