Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Celebreality

This is what VH-1 was calling their reality shows featuring celebrities a year or so ago. I don't know what they call it now. But wow, is it interesting to watch.

I'm just amazed at the amount of drama these people are willing to a) have on film for all time and b) let air on national television. I guess some people will do anything to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

One of the shows we're watching is Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. This show is about the saddest thing I have seen on TV for a while. People who were once famous and are addicted to alcohol, pot, cocaine, or all three, check themselves into this rehab facility. Most of them were drunk on arrival. All seem to be in a generational cycle of abuse of one type or another. So far they seem more interested in who else is in with them and who the new hot guy is than in recovery.

Another show we're watching is Scott Baio is 46 and Pregnant. This is the follow up to last year when he was 45 and Single. At the end of last season he said he was ready to marry his girlfriend, and she told him they were going to have a baby. This year so far, he has purchased a 7,000 sq ft home so there's room for the baby (and a small army). He was very happy about all the space and his ability to hide out for a while until his girlfriend figured out how to use the intercom system.

He's also in a Daddy's to Be class where he's trying to work out some of the stuff that's scaring him about having a baby girl. It seems like they're giving him some good advice, but he's just so juvenile in his thinking sometimes it's frustrating to watch. He's like a Peter Pan kind of person, never wanting the responsibility of being a real grown up.

Let me just say that I am glad I'm not a celebrity, and that even if I was, I don't think I would want a camera crew following me around and recording all my most dramatic moments for everyone to watch.

2 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

I would talk you into letting them follow us around Baby... I've always said they should do a reality show about us. LOL!

Unknown said...

The difference is, Cheryl, you've got a lot more smarts than the average celebrity. Their view of reality is so screwed up they probably don't even realize how bizarre their behavior is.