Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Bucket List

We finally watched the movie "The Bucket List" today. We had been avoiding it until the "right time" knowing that we would certainly cry at some point during the film.

We were right.

One of the lines that sticks with me is from Jack Nicholson's character. He's getting sick from his chemo and looking at himself in the mirror and says, "Somewhere, some lucky guy is having a heart attack."

Death is sad for those left behind no matter how it happens. Long battles with diseases or car accidents or massive heart attacks or aneurysms or strokes or Alzheimer's...fast or slow, does it really matter?

Cemeteries are filled with indispensable and well-loved people. Mothers, fathers, siblings, grandparents, and children we can't live without...yet somehow we do. We carry on, some days with heavy hearts, some days as if nothing happened.

I don't know where I'm going with this except to say that "The Bucket List" did get some things right. We need to live life while we have it, treasure our loved ones, and try to leave without regrets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well written Cheryl. I always enjoy reading your posts.