Monday, January 9, 2006

It didn't hurt until you started messing with it

Have you ever been to the chiropractor? I used to go every few months but I haven't been to one in a long time. I used to go because I have a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders, mostly because I'm a sloucher and I don't do the necessary exercises to keep myself pain-free.

Anyway, I remember a couple years ago I went in for a shoulder issue and the Dr. pressed on this one part of the back of my neck and asked if it hurt. I have to tell you it hurt so bad that I winced. Not a ho-hum-that-kinda-hurts kind of pain either, it was a deep pain in my neck that was causing all my shoulder problems, but somehow I didn't notice it until he put that pressure on it. So my reply was, "It didn't hurt until you started messing with it."

I was reminded of this lately while listening to a recording of a speaker that I really like. He said that sometimes God will touch a part of your life that causes you pain in order to heal it. And I have experienced this situation more than once in the past few years, I can tell you. I had pain that I had grown so used to, because I was deceived by the enemy into thinking it was normal, or it was something I had to learn to live with. But God changed all that with one touch. It was a "never know what you've got until it's gone" situation, but in a good way, if you know what I mean.

And it was painful going through all that stuff, but I had to let God open up those old wounds so He could heal them. He's the only one who could. And then He gave me a gift on the other side of it all, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

2 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

You amaze me everyday. Thanks for sharing who God is shaping you to be... Love you.

Faithful Joy said...

I can certainly relate to that! I have to agree with Dietrich Bonhoeffer when he states that he believes that "God is closer to suffering than happiness..." All things work together for good according to His purpose for those who love Him. Especially the yucky stuff!