Sunday, April 16, 2006

Romans 12:2

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

I came upstairs to my other computer today to work on something, and found that my perpetual calendar with verses on it had to be flipped quite a few times. And instead of just flipping to the right date, I decided to read all the verses I had missed in the last six weeks. The one above was on April 3.

I like it because I recently became part of an online community that definitely has the potential to bring me way way down to its very sad level. It's a spiritual battle every day I am in this community not to give in to what the enemy wants, and to be a light in the darkness. I don't want to be well-adjusted to that culture, I don't want to be like these people, but I have things in common with them and I need to be able to minister to them where they're at. For me that's hard to do without sounding harsh or like I'm judging them sometimes.

I need to remember to keep my focus on God and not on anything else, and also remember that it's for Him that I'm in this community to begin with. Not for my own reasons. I hope that God will continue to bring out the best in me and allow me to be a part of His healing of these people.

No comments: