Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Let it go

Main Entry: grudge
Function: noun: a feeling of deep-seated resentment or ill will
synonym see MALICE
[obtained from
www.m-w.com]

If you want to see a story about forgiveness and healing, my friends, watch The End of the Spear. Shawna blogged about it here. I just saw it on DVD the other day, and let me tell you, among other things, it made me want to be much more diligent in making sure I do not hold grudges against people anymore.

When I was younger I was the queen of grudges. Not unlike hockey players, I had a long memory of wrongs that were done to me and those I love.

It didn't help that I had the enemy whispering in my ear, remember...remember what they did to you and how that made you feel?

But now that I'm older (in more ways than one), I can recognize his voice and choose not to allow his poison to seep into my relationships. I can choose not to "spear" the person who speared me or one that I love. I can choose to listen to God's voice instead, saying, remember...remember what I did for you and how that makes you feel, Daughter.

Like so many things in this life, this will have to be choice I make daily. But I know that "I can do everything through him who gives me strength," (Phil 4:13), and that this is important. It's important for my own well-being, for the health of my marriage, friendships and family.

So anyway, I highly recommend watching The End of the Spear. It was a great reminder to me that if God can forgive me for all my stuff, then surely I can forgive the people in my life for the little things that hurt me from time to time.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Cheryl,

I too saw this movie and was blown away by the level of forgiveness I saw expressed. I didn't know it was out on DVD. My boys have been asking to see it.
One thing my sister pointed out was that the fact that he was able to forgive and live among the people who speared his father had great significance because many of the children there had also lost a father to spearing so it created a connection between them. I would like to see the movie Beyond the Gates of Splendor. I think its a documentary about what happened after the fact....

Take care!
Heather

Anonymous said...

I caught End of the Spear in theatres. Incredible. God is truly all about reconciliation. Us to Him, and us to each other.

beautiful.