Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Blackberry Tea and other memories of Mom


Tonight, I was looking at Christmas photos from years past and remembering my mother. She's been gone so long sometimes I wonder if she ever existed. These photos prove that she did.

I can still hear the way she answered the phone, and how she called my name up the stairs when it was for me.

I remember the texture of her hair, her cheek. I remember that she always wore Cutex Winter White nail polish and used Cover Girl makeup. Oh, that blue eye shadow!

She loved bright colors, especially red. She would hum along to the radio in the car, which used to embarrass me, but now I do the same thing.

I remember making her Blackberry Tea once. I asked her how long to put the water in the microwave, hoping for a precise number of minutes. She said, "Until it's hot." I asked her how long to put the tea bag in, again, looking for a time. She said, "Until it's kind of dark." Then I asked how much milk to put in for her, hoping for a measurement. "Until it's kind of light," was her reply.

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like now if she had never gotten sick. How things would be different.

I'll never know the answer to that. God had other plans for her. Now she's up there with him and I'm still here, finding my way to His plans for me.

3 comments:

NancyJane said...

Thanks for sharing this...it was very sweet. I feel the same way about my Dad. He hasn't even been gone that long...but sometimes it feels like forever. You encouraged me to go home and think about more of the things I remember. I'm gonna write them down and maybe I'll share them someday! Have a great day...

Heather said...

It is so special that you remember these specific details and memories about your Mom.

Anonymous said...

Great Reflections and Warm Memories..... We can be thankful to God for the years that we did have Mom with us. Her strong faith and courage as she fought the deadly disease is something we will always remember. May her favorite "The Joy of the Lord is My Strength" be your mantra as you discover His plans for you.
Love Ya! Dad