Saturday, April 28, 2007

Why, why, why...does it go this way?

I have been reading the Old Testament and I am grieved at the way the Israelites continued their cycle of turning to God and turning away. I can't believe that after the truly amazing ways God provided for them, rescued them, caused them to win battles they should have lost, etc., that they could possibly not be thankful the rest of their days and stay faithful to Him.

All God asked is this:
"You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. Exodus 20:3-6

All the way back then with Moses, the request and the warning are there.

David had his problems, but when I got to Solomon, I saw a big turning point. His seemed like the "glory days" of Israel until:
As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been. The LORD became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. Although he had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the LORD's command. So the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates. 1 Kings 11:4-11

And it all seemed to go downhill from there. King after king was "evil all his days" or followed God but didn't remove the "high places" that the people used to worship other gods. Prophet after prophet warned the kings and the people but they didn't listen and I just don't get it.

If you fear the LORD and serve and obey him and do not rebel against his commands, and if both you and the king who reigns over you follow the LORD your God-good! But if you do not obey the LORD, and if you rebel against his commands, his hand will be against you, as it was against your fathers. But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you. Yet if you persist in doing evil, both you and your king will be swept away." 1 Samuel 12:14-25

Return to him you have so greatly revolted against, O Israelites. For in that day every one of you will reject the idols of silver and gold your sinful hands have made. Isaiah 31:6-7

I guess when it all comes down to it, if I really want to know why these "stiff necked" people didn't listen, I just have to look at myself. When God has done so much for me (no water out of a rock or walking through a body of water on dry land, but amazing things just the same), why do I still turn to other things for fulfillment or satisfaction or meaning in my life? I am just as messy as they were, just as unfaithful, just as "stiff-necked." The plank in my own eye is big as life.

But I will still shake my head as I read on....

No comments: