Friday, November 23, 2007

Scott & Cheryl's First Thanksgiving Dinner

11:30 PM the night before: I look in the mirror as I'm brushing my teeth and wonder if I have what it takes to make a whole Thanksgiving dinner myself.

~Thanksgiving Day~

7:30 AM - We get up, take out the dog, etc.

8:15 - I realize that I don't have a roasting pan large enough for an 11 pound turkey. I head out to Kroger and get a one-time-use roasting pan, some bottled water and some creamer for Scotty's coffee.

8:40 - I return and we put the turkey in the oven. We then start watching "Oceans 13."

10:10 - Scott makes the cheezy potatoes, I make the corn casserole. I forgot to get the cream soup for the potatoes, so we throw in the only thing in the house that might work, Chunky Potato Soup. The potatoes go in the oven and the corn goes in the fridge for now.

11:30 - I put the corn casserole in the oven. The whole house smells so good right now!

12:45 PM - Scott checks the turkey which has been in the prescribed four hours, and realizes we put it in upside down. So that's why I couldn't find the little orange thingie that pops out when it's done. The potatoes and corn are done now, sitting out on the table. We'll warm them up again once the turkey's ready. Scott's watching the Lions against Green Bay, and I am knitting.

2:30 - After checking the turkey every 30 minutes for the little orange thing to pop up, it finally did! Dinner's ready!! Scott carves the turkey (with instructions off the Internet), and we dish it out. Yum! We eat and continue to watch football.

Evening - We watch the great American classic film "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" starring Steve Martin and John Candy. We LOVE this movie and try to watch it every year at Thanksgiving. While this is going, I decide to bake the Sara Lee Dutch Apple Pie. It's done in an hour and I cant' wait to indulge. I love Dutch Apple because of the streusel topping.

The only thing left is to finish cleaning up the kitchen and put away the leftovers. We will be eating this turkey for a while, I think!

No comments: