Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Tree Song

We used to sing this song in elementary school. I was thinking of it today and managed to find the words on the Internet. There are more verses, but here is the gist.

"The Tree Song" by Ken Medema

I saw a tree by the riverside, one day as I walked along.
Straight as an arrow pointing to the sky,
Growing tall and strong.

"How do you grow so tall and strong?"
I said to the riverside tree.
This is the song that my tree friend sang to me.

I've got roots growing down to the water,
I've got leaves reaching up to the sunshine
And the fruit that I bear is the sign of Life in me.

I am shade from the hot summer sundown,
I am nest for the birds of the heavens,
I'm becoming what the Lord of Trees has blessed me to be,
A strong young tree.

3 comments:

Marci said...

We just heard this song and are looking for the words. Do you know the second verse?

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Just found these on another blog, verses 2 and 3, I guess:

I saw a tree in the wintertime when snow lay on the ground
straight as an arrow and pointing to the sky winter winds blew all around
"How do you grow so tall and strong?"
I said to the wintertime tree and this is a song that my tree friend sang to me: *Chorus*

I saw a tree in the city streets where buildings blocked the sun
green and lovely I could see that it gave joy to everyone
"How do you stay so tall and strong?" I said to the downtown tree
and this is a song that my tree friend sang to me.*Chorus*