Saturday, May 17, 2008

Another flat tire and a lot of spilled chili

Instead of a regular small group meeting this week, we had a cookout on Friday evening. We had cooked some chili all day long in the crock pot and it was ready to go. Scott was excited about it because he had thrown some extra stuff in this time and it smelled SO good!!

We started rolling in Scott's Escape, only to find that his left rear tire was completely flat. So we went back to get the Taurus instead, leaving the tire to fix the next day.

Our crock pot does not have anything to keep the lid on in transit, so there sat, hot and vulnerable on the back seat while I attempted to drive very slowly and carefully. I took a turn too fast, and there it went, all spilled out.

Fortunately, I had a sheet down on the back seat because of Bailey, so the bulk of the very hot, very red chili landed on the sheet which is now in the garbage. Some did spill on the seat itself and got all involved in a couple of seat belts, which was very unfortunate. We cleaned it out as best as we could, using left over Kroger plastic bags and napkins. But there was definitely a messy stain and a serious odor.

So this afternoon I went out to my poor abused paid-for Taurus armed with paper towel, Woolite Oxy Clean stain remover, Kroger Disinfecting wipes, white rags, and a couple other cleaners. I had to go back for toothpicks to scrape out the ridges on the seat belt buckles.

It took maybe 30-45 minutes, but I think it's pretty clean now. That Woolite Oxy Clean is amazing. I need a new bottle and I'll do another round with it tomorrow just to make sure it's all cleaned up.

Scott just put the donut on his car, and he's on his way to see if they can patch the tire.

Oh, and the Wings lost today. :-(

Not a fun way to spend our Saturday, but in the grand scheme of life, considering what other people around the world are dealing with today, I'll take it.

Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. Jude 1:2

4 comments:

The Masks of God said...

I recently started blogging, came accross yours and quickly realized you are a believer in the HR field. Very cool!! How long have you been an HRIS specialist? How did you get into the field? Great site!

Unknown said...

Ooh! I've done that a number of time with drinks, but a crock pot full of chili - what a mess! And what a waste of wonderful food. Does the car still smell spicy?

Cheryl said...

Yes, my car now smells like chili and Febreze mixed. Not pleasant...

Heather said...

Well that's a story to remember and laugh about someday down the road. Did you even get to taste any of the chili or did you loose it all?