Saturday, August 30, 2008

A question without an answer

I have many memories of my mother from when I was growing up.

Standing in front of the electric fry pan browning ground chuck, still in her work clothes.
Going from room to room dusting, watering plants and generally de-cluttering her domain.
Running out the door to find an open tennis court in the summer.

But I don't remember her ever sitting down and watching a TV show. I don't remember her having favorite shows or sitting down with us to watch anything, although I'm sure she must have sometimes. She must have at least watched Wimbledon.

Is this a generational thing? Or just specific to her? Maybe she just didn't want to sit still. Maybe she felt it was a waste of time, and had better things to do.

There are neither answers to these questions nor ways to obtain them now. I was just wondering about it the other day and thought I would write it down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daughter:

A very interesting question and since Mom is no longer here, you will have to live without the REAL answer. However, I will give you my thoughts on how she would answer....

I think it was a combination of a generational thing and a personality thing.

On the generational aspect, believe it or not Mom (and I) grew up before TV! So we never got into the mode of "watching a regular TV Program" thus developing some favorites. For us, TV was only there for the 11PM News, Sporting Events (e.g., Wimbledon or World Series), and VCR/Movies. Too many other activities pre-existed(before TV) and were already part of our lives; thus there was little room for regular TV watching.

On the personality aspect, as you know Mom was a very people-oriented person. She would much rather be engaged in a two-way conversation interacting with a live person (on the phone or in someone next door)rather than in a one-way mode of sitting watching TV.

Well, that's my answer; I hope it provides some insight into the REAL answer.

Love Ya! DAD