Today's random writing idea: "Who watched you? What piece of writing is inspired from you with the word 'babysitter?'"
The first thing that comes to mind is a movie entitled "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead," starting Christina Applegate from her "Married With Children" years. Not a great movie but a couple quotes have stuck with me.
The first is from the beginning of the movie when the elderly babysitter first shows up. She tells the kids they can't watch television because "TV rots your brains." Maybe that's why I always feel like I want to do something while I'm watching TV, like knitting or doodling, so my brain will stay "unrotted."
The second memorable quote happens later in the story. The teenage brother has been asked to do the dishes, and instead of washing them, he uses them for skeet shooting practice out the window. When he's out of dishes he says to his friend, "The dishes are done, man!" Sometimes I think that would be a more fun way of getting rid of the dirty dishes, but then what would we eat off of?
On a more personal note, I did have a couple of memorable babysitters when I was a child. One was the daughter of my mother's best friend, and one was someone who was a couple years younger than my brother who went to our church. I think I was a pretty obedient babysittee for the most part. They did usually let me stay up a little later than normal, so I felt like I was getting away with something. Not a huge offense, but enough for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Where do you get your topics? Do you make them up or do you have a source?
For me...babysitter...good ones I use for my own kids, my personal favorites as a child, my current role 3 days a week, the movie Adventures in Babysitting.....etc, etc, etc.
Most of the time my babysitter was my Grandma. I went everywhere she went. I went to her Bible study groups with her and all the other old women. I went shopping with her and her best friends.
A gas named Julie watched us one summer. She had braces. My brother his her with one of my Barbie pony's and gave her a bloody lip. Another lady, named Kim, smacked me for following my brother down the road. She had no idea where I was. My Mom never made me go back there. There was a woman named Betty who still lived just down the street. She had a daughter my age that I played with all day.
My most favorite babysitter was Grandma, ofcourse. She spoiled me rotten.
Post a Comment