Monday, August 1, 2005

Bloom where you are planted

I always thought "Bloom where you are planted" was such a cliche' saying. I cross-stitched it in jr high and it hung in the kitchen of my childhood for years after that, in its little circular, gold-colored plastic frame. It was a red tulip, I think, in a little pot, with these words above it in ALL CAPS.

In the past few years, however, the phrase is making more sense to me. I have always felt that because I was adopted at birth, that God very specifically planted me exactly where He wanted me. He chose the soil, the climate, the amount of water, sunlight, shade, dryness - all my growing conditions. It is only through His tender gardening that I could bloom. Not just come out of the ground, not just survive when it gets cold. Bloom. Fulfill what I was planted for. Be beautiful. Bring a smile to others with my presence.

So let yourself bloom, my friends. Stop worrying about the weeds or what the other flowers and plants are doing. Reach for the sun and bloom.

1 comment:

Scott Donnelly said...

Can you believe I get to be married to this amazing woman?!?