Monday, August 8, 2005

Why is it all about money?

I like to make cards for people. I enjoy thinking of just the right thing to say, I enjoy thinking about the person for whom I'm making each card and what their favorite colors are or what patterns they might like. I do this because I care about the people I'm making the cards for. It's an expression of what I feel about them or perhaps just a note to encourage or thank or celebrate or commiserate. But lately, every time I give someone one of these cards, they invariably say something like "You should sell these!"

Now I appreciate that someone thinks my work is valuable and that I could share it with a wider audience and perhaps benefit financially. But they're missing the point. And the point is this. I care about this person, and I am sharing a part of myself by creating something special just for them. Something that will never be duplicated, and is one of a kind. Just like them. Trying to package that and sell it robs it of the very thing that makes it special.