Monday, October 3, 2005

The only thing I ever got out of Dickens

Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that never would have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.
- Charles Dickens

This is a quote from Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Although I majored in English Literature, I have yet to read this book all the way through. I prefer to watch the movie with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow, though it's VERY loosely based.

Anyway, I started reading this novel many years ago and came across this quote toward the beginning of it. I love it because it draws such a vivid picture of what he's talking about. There have been many memorable days for me, where I can go back in my memory and see the "formation of the first link" of a chain of one sort or another. Many are good, for which I am thankful, and many of the bad ones are broken now, thanks to God.

No comments: