Friday, December 9, 2005

College

I realized today that I've been out of college for ten years. Still no desire to go back.

For me, college was not what most people remember or dream about. I didn't "go away" to school; I lived at home and commuted. The University of Michigan-Dearborn doesn't even have housing. (Actually, they used to, but they converted all the old apartments into classrooms. I can't tell you how odd it was to learn about Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in what used to be someone's living room or bedroom.) I didn't join any "I am woman, hear me roar" clubs or language clubs or involve myself in sports. I didn't party. I just wanted to get my degree and get on with my life.

From time to time I have thought about getting a Master's Degree in something. Usually it's Instructional Design or an MBA with a Human Resources focus. But I can't get excited enough about any one subject to spend the time and money needed to complete the work. Then I tell myself, hey, just be a writer and educate yourself as you research your books. And you can guess how well that's working out by the fact that I hardly ever make time to write these days.

3 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

College... you know what I think about it. Biggest Money Making Scheme in America...

I have a degree too, but I still think you could learn just about everything you needed to know "on the job" and study all the other stuff on your own.

Why pay all this money to have some whacko tell you all his/her views on every topic they decide is necessary for your life?

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chery;
This Neil Swanger, Aaron's dad.
While reading your entry on attending college at the U of M Dearborn campus, I wondered if you came across Amy Childs while there? She invited me to speak at a Christian Fellowship group a few times back in the day. I thought maybe we might have met throught that venue. Just a thought!

Cheryl said...

Hi Neil, I think I did meet Amy Childs at InterVarsity, but I didn't go much...not sure if we met back then or not. :-)