Thursday, May 18, 2006

Despair

One of my favorite websites a few years ago was Despair.com. Having been in the corporate world a couple years at the time and seeing inspirational quotes everywhere about "Attitude" and "Never Quit" and such, Despair.com was a breath of fresh air for me. Its products are called "Demotivators" and all their prints and slogans and clever writing fit my outlook on life perfectly.

The first one I ever saw was "Despair: It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black." Some others I liked were:

Mediocrity: It takes a lot less time and most people won't notice the difference until it's too late. (Picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa)

Problems: No matter how great and destructive your problems may seem now, remember, you've probably only seen the tip of them. (Picture of an iceberg)

I bought the mug (which said something about it being half empty on the outside), I bought the calendar, I signed up for the email newsletter (The Wailing List). I never admitted to being pessimistic, though. I called myself realistic. Never expected anything good out of anyone so I would never be disappointed.

Then somewhere along the way something changed in me. I stopped going out to the website as much. I unsubscribed from The Wailing List. I got rid of the calendar that I'd been saving, planning to frame one or two of my favorites. I got rid of it all except that one page that had first caught my eye.

Despair.

I left it up in my cube at work for a long time. Until one day that too had to come down and be put away. I forgot all about it until last week.

I have what I call a tower at one end of my cube, which is basically a four foot high file drawer on wheels with shelves inside. The other day I was coming back to my desk and I saw a piece of paper underneath it so I pulled it out. And there was Despair, crumpled, dusty and covered with wheel marks. Despair was ruined.

I started laughing because it was a visual for me of what has happened in my life. Despair is ruined for me. I am now filled with hope and joy. Jesus has begun to restore my life to what it should have been.

Once in a while I still go to Despair.com. I still find their products entertaining. But I don't identify myself with that way of thinking anymore. And I couldn't be happier about it.

4 comments:

Heather said...

That was cool. Thanks for sharing it. I had to chuckle at some of the sayings too--but only for fun. Do you remember that song from Sunday school---Down in the dumps I'll never go...that's were the devil keeps me low....
Made me think of that.
I have my moments of despair but I would like to think I only stop by for a moment and never linger there too long.
Have you enjoyed the peeks of sunshine we had today? One child (not mine) said, "Look mom, its not grumpy out today."
Heather

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. It speaks right to me and reminds me that God is working. Even if it seems very little by little...He is still working and I will be able to look back after awhile and see things out of my life too. I needed this today to confirm some things God has been talking to me about. Miss you guys...
-Kristi Kurtz

Faithful Joy said...

Cheryl-this was AWESOME. Thanks so much for sharing about God's transforming power in your life. It brought tears to my eyes to read about how Jesus can change a person's entire outlook on life, and totally dispell the subtle whispers of the Enemy who calls you to DESPAIR. It's also a great example about how "all things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial". He leads us to a place of intimacy where we soon find there is no room for the things we used to subscribe to on a regular basis. And it's our decision to lay those things aside and free up more space for HIM and for the blessings He wants to pour into us--all because He has allowed us to hunger and thirst for His righteousness! (MORE TEARS!) Thank you, Jesus, for breaking the power of pessimism and despair in Cheryl's life! Do the same in all our lives!

Larry Castle said...

Cheryl, that was really good. You're a good writer. You should consider doing it for a living. :-)

I discovered despair.com while I worked at FranklinCovey. I found them really entertaining in comparison to the Successories we sold there.