Saturday, May 26, 2007

Got To Let It Go

For some reason over the past few days, a very old Amy Grant song off her "Age to Age" album has been in my head.

Got to let it go
Holdin' on just brings me worry
Got to let it go
Come and take it from me, hurry
Got to let it go
Oh, I've got to let it go
Got to give up all of my control


I am a pack rat. Not sure if that's due to nature or nurture but there it is. When we moved last year I unloaded a lot. Still, there is a lot of stuff in our basement that I haven't even unpacked in the last 10 months. Popular theory says if you don't use something for 6 months, sell, donate or toss it. I want to do it, but oh, what a big job this will be.

I've gotten better at letting go over the years. I no longer save things like I used to - I'm much more willing to only keep what I will really use. Hopefully this will make my bags lighter for next time, whenever that is.

I think this song can also apply to things other than the material. Letting go of old ways of thinking, old hurts long forgiven, worrying about things I can't really control. Those are the tricky things for me - retraining my brain and heart to not travel those well-worn paths but to take the road less travelled instead.

I thank God he has provided a light for my journey.

No comments: