Saturday, May 12, 2007

How I spent my Saturday

This morning as I was walking with Bailey, I saw my favorite color green. It's captured in a newly formed leaf, fully grown, yet still tender enough to let the sunlight shine all the way through, lighting it up a brilliant, fresh green.


This afternoon, Scott and I decided to plant some flowers in the front yard. We picked them up at Home Depot and I actually got them all in today.

If you know me at all you will know what an accomplishment this is. When I was young, Mom always planted her annuals on Mother's Day weekend, but as an adult, I am a gardening slacker extraordinaire.

Some years, I don't do anything at all. Some years I wait until it's July and everything's on sale because it's about to die or is overflowing its plastic compartments. Last year, in fact, we didn't have anything in our yard until Jim and Phiona came and planted some beautiful stuff as we were getting ready to move.

So this year is special. I got yellow marigolds, which I have always loved. And to go with the yellow, I decided on blue, to express our Michigan roots. The plant is called lobelia, and the one I got is a light blue, almost a periwinkle, and very small and cute and pretty. I also got three daylily plants which should come back year after year. I am happy with my choices overall, but my back, I think, will not be feeling happy tomorrow.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Few people know this but marigolds are a favorite of mine. I especially like the ones with the dark red/orange highlights.

Congrats on getting that gardening done. I hope it was fun.

Scott Donnelly said...

Let's be honest... you did all the work Baby! I love you.

d-roc said...

They look very pretty. I actually planted flowers for Casey this year. I took the boys to help me pick them out and we filled our wooden basket. We picked butterfly flowers because Casey loves butterflies.