How do you measure a year?
A year ago today, Scott and Aaron left on their cross-country drive from Detroit to LA. Let’s take a look back at some of the things that happened and changed for us all this year.
Last year at this time Scott and I did not even know Kelly, Dave, Shawna, Derek and Casey. Now we live in Marysville and attend the same church.
Aaron was living in Michigan – now he’s at IHOP and having amazing experiences with our Lord every day.
My brother Jim and his wife Phiona and their children (Nicole, Christopher, Kaylin and Desmond) were still getting settled in America after moving here from Dubai last fall. Now Jim and Phiona have decorated and re-decorated their house, let’s see, maybe four times. Nicole is in cosmetology school, Chris can drive on his own, Kaylin let his hair grow and then cut it again, and Desmond’s playing football.
My step-sister Kirsten and her husband Brian were just expecting their daughter Ellery who is now four months old. Their son Jackson had just celebrated his first birthday and now he’s two and is a big brother.
Scott’s brother Matthew and his wife Sarah are expecting their first child this coming March.
Our friends Rob and Nicole’s son Jack, who is now three months old, did not exist a year ago.
Matthew and I were both working at Compuware this time last year, and now we are both in new jobs.
Scott and I were living in our house on Beatrice with no end in sight, but longing for God to move us. And He did.
Somewhere in Lincoln Park, MI, a family was living in a house that is now burned to the ground, and they are renting our home in Allen Park.
The house Scott and I bought on Monteclair Court was not even on the market at this time last year, and now it has new owners. And a dog instead of a cat…YAHOO! Up with Dogs, down with Cats! (My apologies to any cat people who are reading. We are strictly dog people.)
About a year ago, Ed Horn had just started seeing the doctor about his medical problems. Now he is with our Lord in paradise.
Last year at this time I was part of the Relevant Captivating Bible study. Now our Relevant friends are all going to many different churches all over the Detroit area.
This is just a sampling of what occurred in all our lives this year. Here’s hoping that during this year you had more joy than sorrow, and that you can see God’s hand as He moves you in the direction He wants you to go, as I do. I’ll sign off with this:
O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and You glory.
Because Your lovingkindness if better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
~Psalm 63: 1-3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It is amazing all that God does for us in a short year. I think much of it just "happens" and we experience it and move on. Its when you record it like you just did that we really can pause and reflect and say, "WOW God!"
Thanks for sharing your year.
Great entry! It made me think back on my past year as well. God is really good isn't He? Thanks for sharing that. Hope this next year is full of joy and thankfulness.
Something I started doing in the year 2000 was making a list of a hundred things I did that year. It all had to fit on one page with 2 columns side by side. I didn't do it last year, but I remember finding those lists and being amazed at what God can do in what seems like such a short time. It seems the past 3-4 years God has led me to make huge life altering decisions every January. I can't wait to see what He is going to do next!
I am so excited God brought you here. You and Scott are such blessings in my life.
By the way, did you like RENT the movie?? I got it not too long ago, and I must say that I really liked it. The music is great.
Post a Comment