Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Life also takes CASH people!

In this day and age I am always happy to see creative advertising that does not use the most popular vehicle for selling (sex) and makes me laugh or makes me think or just shows me some beautiful imagery.

I was outraged, however, upon seeing a VISA advertisement on TV last night.

It's basically a bunch of young, hip people in a fast-paced store and every thing is running like clockwork. Everyone's using their VISA cards and getting in and out of line quickly. Until something unthinkable happens that throws a wrench into everything.

Some guy pulls cash out of his wallet to pay for his purchase.

The music stops.

Everyone stares.

The older, balding guy with glasses sheepishly pays and gets the heck out of the store.

Then all is well again now that the behind-the-times guy has left the store.

I was speechless. Can you blame me?

How many Americans are living paycheck to paycheck because of all their spending? How many people are in debt counseling? How many young people are in debt up to their ears and they're still in college? What will it take to open people's eyes here?

I don't have any idea.

-EDIT- 11/7/06
OK, I have seen this ad several more times since I've been on vacation and I now realize that it's for a Visa Check Card, which I use frequently. The commercial setting is actually a cafeteria and not a store. And the guy that pays with cash is not an older bald guy with glasses, he's a guy in his 30's or 40's. But he does look sheepish as he pays, gets his change and walks away.

4 comments:

Faithful Joy said...

Amen and Amen. 1st Financial Bank sent me an unsolicited credit my senior year in college with a $5000 limit. I had no job, had not credit, and did not ask for it. What the @$&%?

Kristi Kurtz said...

Very true. The world is a crazy place.

Thinking of you.....praying for you and Scottyn :)

Heather said...

I've been thinking about this post of yours. I know some comercials can just get our blood boiling, can't they? I agree with your points. Credit is a difficult thing and as a society we are far, far too accepting of debt and the consequences are still yet to be seen. BUT (devil's advocate here) I love the convience of using my Visa check card. I view it the same way as using a check or cash--but more convienent than a check. I DO think I get through the lines faster with a cash transaction than with a check, credit or debit card. I don't carry a lot of cash and I like that. I have my spending money in my wallet and sometimes some grocery money but other than that we use our debit card. Maybe that wasn't the point of the commercial--Visa Check cards--so in that case I applaude your righteous indignation. And besides I don't view myself in the manner you described the "cash" customer and I use cash (occasionally) too!

NancyJane said...

I saw this commercial last night. It made me sad for the little bald guy. :)