
I have a Petoskey Stone in my office and looking at it today brought back many fond memories. When I was a girl, our family used to take summer vacations in Northern Michigan. My favorite place was called Suttons Bay, and every year I would look in the water for a Petoskey Stone to take back home with me.
There were a couple years when Dad and I bought a rock polishing kit so that we could polish the stone to make the fossil pattern really come out. There were several steps to the process of making it shine, but it was a fun project to do together.
I'm sure if I was the stone, it would not have been fun. I would have wanted to stay in the clear cold water of the bay, content to see the world from that vantage point. Being taken from my home and put in a foreign environment, forever separated from my other rock friends would not have been fun. I would not have enjoyed being scrubbed with different kinds of sand paper and paste and water, being rubbed and rubbed until I felt like there would be nothing left when they were done.
But I hope that in the end when I realized how beautiful I was, that I would look back and feel like it was worth it. Instead of being stuck in a bay, surrounded by identical rocks, my inner beauty had been noticed, brought out, and enjoyed by others.
I hope I would appreciate that, if I was a Petoskey Stone.

3 comments:
My favorite stone! I have both the "raw" stone and a polished one.
I liked your story.
Great Memories -- Those family fun times collecting stones in that cold water in Sutton's Bay and then the polishing projects back home afterward. Amazing analogy how the Lord "polishes" each of us through life's difficult experiences to make us more Christ-like. Your inner beauty is showing and loved by all of us around you!
Love Ya! Dad
I love your analogy. Been feeling a bit like the rock that's midway through the process lately! It is worth it though, and hopefully at the end I will be worth looking at (or at least my heart will be). :) Oh and thanks for reading!!
Post a Comment