Wednesday, October 3, 2007

1 Kings 11

Recently I read what I consider to be one of the saddest chapters in Scripture: 1 Kings 11. In my Bible it is subtitled "Solomon Turns from God," and that pretty much sums it up.

I am reading through the Bible chronologically, so I had just finished reading all about David. I learned since I was little that David was a "man after God's own heart," and that he was such a great king. I didn't truly understand this until I read about all the kings after him and how they turned away from God time and again. Reading all that makes David's life and reign that much more impressive.

David's reign was full of fighting, but Solomon was promised peace. God gave him everything. Reading about it all just makes me think of the phrase "glory days." He had so much and the main thing God asked of him was just to love Him the most. Don't worship anyone else.

But Solomon was a ladies' man and his ladies led him away from the One who loved him most.

Not only did he allow his foreign wives to worship their own gods, he built high places for them and even worshipped them himself.

10 Although he had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the LORD's command. 11 So the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates.


And on we read through the rest of 1 Kings, 2 Kings...there were good kings and bad, but these high places were not removed. Generational sin illustrated perfectly.

It's just so sad to me. Makes me wonder how the world would be different today if Solomon had not turned from God. Was turning away a foregone conclusion, if not by him by one of his sons? Or would he have changed the path of history?

It also makes me wonder what I'm doing or not doing in my life that will affect those who come after me....

1 comment:

Casey said...

Amen Sister.