Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I don't wanna work, I wanna bang on the drum all day

This past Monday, we had a company-wide meeting all morning.

It was full of the usual goals and visions discussion presented by the higher ups, which is always interesting.

But then they brought out the entertainment. It's a group called the Drum Cafe, and they do corporate events like this to motivate and inspire.

And it worked on me.

They passed out a Djbembe like this one to each person in the audience, which was about 1200 people, and we all got to drum together. Sometimes we all played the same thing; sometimes half the room played something that complemented what the other half of the room was doing; and sometimes half of us just listened while our colleagues pounded out their rhythm.

It was fun and amazing and as we all yelled out, "I am a drummer...and I rock!!" I believed it.

I was hoping we could bring the drums home, but no. Maybe I'll just have to go out and get one myself so I can drum whenever the mood strikes.

No comments: