Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Does Low Maintenance Really Exist?


Ever since the movie When Harry Met Sally debuted, there have been discussions about women who are either High Maintenance or Low Maintenance. I have taken part in these conversations myself, and have always been proud of the fact that most people would consider me Low Maintenance. Of course, if I was High Maintenance, would people really tell me to my face and risk the argument that would surely ensue, if indeed I was High Maintenance? (If I was truly Low Maintenance, surely I would say "whatever" and move on.)

But lately I've been thinking about this whole concept in a different way. Could it be that all of us women are really High Maintenance, but some have learned how to do part of the work ourselves? Or perhaps some people view us one way and others another, depending on the situation we find ourselves in. For example, when I am tired or hungry, (or worse, both), I become High Maintenance because I want what I want NOW. Or perhaps we are High Maintenance at home and Low Maintenance at work or vice versa.

I don't know if there's an answer. I don't know if this even matters. I'll just say I'm glad God doesn't view me as one or the other, but whichever way I'm behaving at the moment, He will meet my needs, whether they are few or many.

No comments: