Monday, July 9, 2007

Travellin' Man

My brother Jim was an only child until he was eight, and then I came along. Many years have passed and during that time there has been a cycle of closeness and separation. We were very close when I was a teenager and he was in college, still living at home. Until I got a boyfriend and he got a girlfriend and then we spent more time with them than with each other.

In 1992 he started moving around the country, and later, the world. He's lived in:
- Chicago, IL
- Davenport, IA
- Pontiac, MI
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- West Bloomfield, MI

And today he's moving to Shanghai, China. (I made this list by memory, Jim, let me know if I missed any stops.) For business, he's also travelled all over Europe and the Middle East and probably most of the major cities in the US.

I have enjoyed his last couple years here in the States - we had some wonderful times hanging out with him and his beautiful wife at their home. Phiona is a delight and I love the relationship that my brother shares with her. Of course now that they're leaving, I wish we had spent more time together, but as usual, life got busy.

Jim travels today with his son Desmond, who also accompanied him & Phiona on the househunting trip last month. The rest of the family, Phiona, daughter Nicole, and sons Christopher and Kaylin, will follow in a few weeks. I am excited for them all as they begin a new adventure in a new city, country, continent. Hopefully Scott and I will be able to visit during their years there.

As we go our separate ways once more, I know it's not forever. God's got the whole world in his hands so we're not really that far apart. Twelve hours will pass and I'll be where he was. And so it goes....

Godspeed, Bro.

No comments: