Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Every Great Success Story

One of my favorite movie quotes of all time is from the very end of "Say Anything," written by Cameron Crowe. (He also did "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Jerry Maguire" and "Almost Famous.")

The two main characters, played by Ione Skye and John Cusak, are on a plane bound for England. Their summer romance has seen its ups and downs and they are taking a huge chance on each other by taking this trip together.

"No one thought we would do this," she ventures. "No one thinks this will work, do they?"

"No," he replies and looks away for a moment. Then he looks back at her with a little smile and says, "You just described every great success story."

The thing I love about this is that they took the chance, even though everything seemed stacked against them. They risked possible failure for a chance at greatness,"a dare to be great situation."

I hope I can recognize those moments when they come and leap with faith instead of hesitating with fear.

2 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

Kind of like moving away from everything comfy and secure for a new adventure!

Love ya'!

Anonymous said...

I love that line. (and John Cusak) :)

It comes to mind every once in a while when I think about my career as a writer or other things that God's asking me to take a chance on.