Friday, August 10, 2007

History

Today we drove from Marysville to Raymond, which is about a 10 minute drive through the country. As I was looking at the cornfields and trees, all very green from the recent rainstorm, I was thinking, were these trees always here? What did this land look like 20 years ago, or 100 years ago? What was here 1000 years ago?

My thoughts frequently go this direction, especially when I see old, dilapidated buildings like this barn I got from Webshots.com.

I wonder who built it and what it looked like when it was brand new and in use for the first time.

I wonder if there were horses or cows, and if there was a big family who all shared the chores.

I wonder what it would have been like to live that life.

I wonder if they wondered what would become of their barn and their land after they were gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often think the same things. I wonder whose 'path' I'm crossing when I encounter places like that. We rarely realized how connected we are to those who have gone before us. Whether we knew them personally or not.

Casey said...

I remember driving past the house we live in now as a young child. I remember seeing the old couple that lived here outside doing yard work or lounging in the backyard. Their names were Harold and Hazel. They were friends with my Grandmother. I remember coming in to the house as a child. The walls were lime green. When I first heard the house was for sale, I thought "Ew, no way, I remember those yucky green walls!" Thank God it had just beeb remodeled and everything was white! I never dreamed this is where we would end up living.