Saturday, June 2, 2007

Yes I am, yes I do, and yes I will

As people, we start lying very early in life. Time and again I have seen little children lie to their parents to get out of a tight spot.

This continues as we grow up, lying to friends to make them believe we are smarter or cooler or more something than we really are. We lie to teachers to get out of trouble - about that missing homework, or whether or not we cheated on that quiz or if we did the required reading. "No, Sir," gulp, "I'm not chewing gum."

We grow up more and learn that the most believable lies are just a twisting of the truth. Or we make people believe things by omitting something. We lie to ourselves at this point...is it really lying if I just leave that part of the story out? Some of the most damaging lies are those we tell ourselves. Things get so twisted in our minds that we believe that the lie is actually true.

Still more damaging are the lies whispered over and over by the enemy, twisting our thinking. They keep us from trying new things. They keep us from stepping out in faith. They keep us from being all that God made us to be. I thought of this the other day when listening to Bryan Duncan on my pod:

He says you're nothing special, you got nothin' to offer
Yes I am, yes I do, and yes sir, yes I will

- from "Yes I Will," Bryan Duncan, The Last Time I Was Here

I hope that as I continue to grow in Christ, that I'll continue to value truth more and more. I hope that as I continue to read God's word that the truth it contains will sink in and saturate my mind and heart, leaving no more room for those old lies.

And I hope that when those lies return in a subtle new form to catch me off guard, I will see right through them and continue to believe the truth.

No comments: