Monday, August 28, 2006

Chloe

This is a response to Nancy's blog about unleashed dogs.



This is a St. Bernard. In our new neighborhood, there is one living two doors down. (In the same house with the four adults and 12 children, by the way.)

I was outside in our unfenced backyard with Bailey the other day, controlling him only with the shock collar. We were playing ball and our neighbor-dog obviously saw Bailey having fun and wanted say hi and maybe play along. I didn't realize this, though, until I heard this kid crying and then noticed that this dog was coming toward us dragging a 8-9 year old boy who was holding onto his collar. I think the kid saw the dog heading for us and was trying to hold her back. In vain.

I was not scared of the St. Bernard (whose name is Chloe, evidently), but I felt like Bailey might be intimidated by her size or something so I got between them. Bailey freaked out because this huge beast was coming into our yard, coming straight for me. Bailey was barking and baring his teeth and I was yelling at him.

Scott heard me yelling and came outside to see what was going on. When I saw him I said, "You have to help me!" He commanded Bailey to come inside, which he did. Then I went inside, and Scott went out to make sure the kid was OK. By that time his family was already helping him out.

I have been walking Bailey almost every day now, and there are dogs all over this place with no leashes, not to mention cats wandering around. The thing that kills me is that people seem to get upset when their dog barks or whatever when we walk by, but we are walking calmly (with the help of a Halti) and theirs is the dog that's behaving badly. I guess Bailey's presence stimlulates the bad behavior, but it's also their lack of training or control of their dog. Doesn't anyone watch the Dog Whisperer?

Now let me say that if I had Bailey at our house, in the yard with me, and someone else walked by with a dog, he would do the same thing and I would react the same way. But that's why I don't do that - I keep him on a leash when this possibility exists. I do watch the Dog Whisperer and since I know I can't get Bailey to be calm and submissive all the time, out comes the leash.

Since that day last week, we have seen Chloe a couple times, on her leash, tied to a tree in her yard. I'm just waiting for the day when she uproots the tree to come walking with us.

3 comments:

NancyJane said...

Wow, that is quite a story! Yea, It always amazes me that people are so shocked when dogs act like...well...dogs. Of course our dogs would do the same thing if they had the opportunity, which is why we don't give it to them.
Glad things are going well for you guys! I love reading the updates. :)

Scott Donnelly said...

I wish you could have described the look on your face, but most of all on that poor little boys face... pure horror!

d-roc said...

That makes me laugh. I remember when a woman walking her dog came by our house and Bear ran at her growling because he didn't know her. He is very harmless, but she didn't know, so she freaked out, screamed, and started flailing her arms to the point where she almost fell down. I was embarrassed, but it was so funny later!