What does "hermetically" mean exactly? Where did this phrase come from? Does it have anything to do with Hermes? Isn't that a company that makes scarves? And so on.
When I got to a computer I looked it up online at my favorite online dictionary, m-w.com. Here is the relevant part of the definition: 2 [from the belief that Hermes Trismegistus invented a magic seal to keep vessels airtight] a : AIRTIGHT
Upon further investigation, I discovered that Hermes does indeed make scarves, among other things. And Hermes Trismegistus may not be a real person. I didn't read the whole article online, it bored me.
Mystery solved for the moment. Now I can use it in a sentence.
My leftovers stayed fresh because they were hermetically sealed in a Tupperware container.

2 comments:
Good to know...
I had a good laugh - especially about the Hermes scarves..(and you know how I love scarves). thanks for your humor and wit. I thoroughly enjoy it.
Post a Comment