Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I am the optimist

So yesterday in our first day of class they asked me how my drive out of the airport to the hotel went and I said "not too bad." I said this because although it was tricky, the detour was marked well enough and I ended up where I wanted to be in the end without too much trouble. For this they called me an optimist. Not a bad nickname to have or attribute to be remembered for.

Then today, it was solidified. I kept making errors when I was typing and just laughing and deleting and re-entering and so forth. My instructor and classmates were surprised that I was being so good-natured and just laughing about it. It really wasn't a big deal, and I couldn't imagine reacting any other way. I asked them if they were expecting me to get angry and they said yes, they were surprised I wasn't slamming the keyboard around in frustration by that point.

I just said I'd rather laugh about it, that I was married to a comedian and can laugh about pretty much anything, and that this is what 34 years will do to you.

They were silent and I could feel their hesitation or disagreement, though it was unspoken.

So I qualified my statement, saying this is what 34 years did to me. And they said, they knew 60 year olds who aren't as good natured as I was being. And I said that's their choice.

So in their eyes I am optimistic. It's better than pessimistic or as I used to call myself, realistic. I'd rather be optimistic and depending on God every day than trying to do it on my own being "real."

I ate lunch today at Picadilly Pub, which is in the Best Western across the street from my Holidy Inn Express. It is decorated with wide planks of pine on the walls and ceiling, and plaid carpeting. Tiffany lamps hang over every table and on the walls are mostly old fashioned beer signs. I had a burger, which was just what I wanted, and raspberry iced tea, which I love. I really wanted to try their dessert, but I had no room left, so I may return for dinner one night and get it.

We got out of class early and I thought about going on a driving adventure to try to find the Cheesecake Factory, but I decided no, not today. Besides, there's a CF in Columbus and I can go there whenever. I would much rather share the CF experience with loved ones than go alone. So instead I drove to downtown Waltham, which is Moody Street. I had planned to get out and walk around and find someplace to eat, but when I drove through, it seemed like the kind of place Scott would not want me walking around in by myself, so I turned around and left.

I drove to the other side of town and found Friendly's. I got the fish and chips which was very good, and for dessert, their Caramel Cone sundae, which I LOVED.

Driving back to the hotel, I took a couple wrong turns and was relieved to find myself finally on the right road where things started to look familiar again. I will be happy to be out of here soon and back on my way home.

48-ish more hours to go.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think your decision to save the Cheesecake Factory experience till you can share it is a good idea. It definitely better that way. Espcecially since you have one nearby. It sounds like you are having an influence on people.
Hope the hours pass quickly.

Faithful Joy said...

Hi Cheryl! Glad to hear you are in Boston safe and sound. Can't wait to see ya!