Well, it's over. I acutally named this summer: The Summer of Sweat.
The sweating started when it got hot and humid. I love the 70's but when it hits the mid 80's and 90's like we had again this year, I start longing for fall. The sweating continued as we prepared for our garage sale. It seemed like we picked the hottest couple of weeks to prepare and have this sale, and I was very glad when it was over. Sorting through old junk, deciding what to let go of, what to sell, what to donate, what to trash. Part of me wanted to rent a dumpster and just get rid of it all at once.
Then came the job interview at the end of June, so I was sweating figuratively, wondering if I would get an offer and if I did, if I should take it. Then I did get the offer so I was sweating the decision, as I was praying, wanting to make sure I was heeding the right Voice. Then came giving notice, which occurred on a morning when I was nervously sweating, filled with both dread and excitement. Giving my notice at work after being with the same company for ten years made it all see much more real.
Then, of course, there's getting the house cleaned up and ready to sell. Lots of painting - boy was it hot that week! I'll never forget it. And then the packing. Still hot. I think I was taking two showers a day during all this. Cold ones. And swimming in the evenings. What a blessing that pool was this year.
Next came starting the new job. Then finding a new home. Then moving into the new home. Working with the relocation people. Guaranteed sweaty circumstances all.
Scott and I talked about wanting to be able to fast forward through all those weeks, and just end up in the middle of October, when it's cooler and when everything would be done and we'd be settled in the new place. But since stuff like that only happens in the movies, I asked God to show me the value in the frustrating day to day experience of this transition.
I'm sure I will discover later that I learned quite a bit this year. But for now, here is my takeaway. If I had been able to fast forward, I would have lost the experience of learning to trust God each day for the things that occurred. I asked him for my daily bread and tried not to worry about tomorrow, and that's how I got through it.
That and lots of water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think you will find that in time you will see lessons learned, memories created and experiences shared that you would not want to have missed by hitting the fast forward button. That said I can certainly relate to wanting to push it anyway from time to time.
Really enjoyed your blog entitled "Seasons Change"...... but maybe the sub-title "A Season of Change" is also apropos for this one? Certainly God has been faithful to you guys as you sweated through some of the most significant changes in your lives since your wedding day(and the temp that day was in the upper 90's!)as you made the transition to Columbus.
Also, I really respect your takeaway, too..... Yes, its during our prayers for "daily bread" in those sweaty/sress-filled incidences when we can hear Him say: "Trust me, I love you".
Avoid the fast forward, but continue to see God in your rear-view mirror. Love Ya! Dad
Post a Comment