Saturday, September 23, 2006

The new normal


Tonight Scott and I drove home again, and saw the beginning of Autumn in the trees and an extraordinarily beautiful sunset.

My training for work is done, as far as I know, and I could not be happier. I am glad I got to go to these classes, but it's always good to just get back to normal. Right now we're still getting used to the "new normal," as I've been calling it. "Normal" as we knew it six months ago no longer exists. There is a "new normal" that has to be settled into.

I am looking forward to continuing to set up our house so that people can start visiting. I am looking forward to building relationships with neighbors, old friends and new, fellow church-goers. And I'm looking forward to our family coming down to visit in the next month or so, to see where we're living now.

I sit here tonight in anticipation of many things. I have the first season of "Felicity" on DVD, lent to me by my sister-in-law, Sarah, to watch as time permits. The new fall shows are on our TiVo, waiting for us to hit "Play." It's football season and right now we're watching U of M play Wisconsin. And I just love fall. For many people, I know, it's a season where everything dies in preparation for winter. But for me, fall has always been about new beginnings. And we're in the middle of a real big one.

:-)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Fall is my favorite time of year! I love all the seasons but fall is the winner for me. The beauty of the colors as they change. The unique fall sounds--leaves falling and crunching under foot. Even the sounds people make are somehow softer than the intense, fun sounds of summer. The smells of fall are incredible!! Fresh dounuts and cider, pumpkin pies, spices. I love it!!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous photograph! captions: the winding road.. where does it take one? kind of looks like the road of life.. always twisting and turning... it was nice that all the other cars cooperated and stayed out of your photograph. How peaceful!!! How changing.!! God is GOOD.
hang in their you two, for the new normal. Aunt Jeanne

Cheryl said...

Oh, Aunt Jeanne...you flatter me. But I did not take this photo. I downloaded it from Webshots, one of my favorite websites. As for where it could take you...I have heard that all roads lead to home, if that's where you're going. :-)