Monday, February 12, 2007

Only Hope

Only Hope, Switchfoot, New Way to be Human

I first heard this song in the movie "Walk to Remember" with Mandy Moore and Shane West. The first time I saw this movie I was not greatly impressed, but I did like the music (3-4 Switchfoot songs) and the story grew on me. I believe it's based on a novel by Nicholas Sparks who wrote "The Notebook" and "Message in a Bottle," so as you can imagine it's a tear-jerker.

Notwithstanding the story contrived to make me cry my eyes out at teenage love and tragedy, I love this song. Mandy Moore does OK with it in the movie, but I really love the original done by Switchfoot themselves.

Here is the 2nd verse and the chorus.

Sing to me of the song of the stars
Of Your galaxy dancing and laughing
and laughing again
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that You have
for me over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only Yours
I pray to be only Yours
I know now You're my only hope


This verse reminds me of Dangerous Wonder a bit, which is a favorite book of mine written by the late Mike Yaconelli. It's all about the dreams we have as children and how we lose them as we grow up and that we need to reclaim that sense of wonder that we had as children. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Faithful Joy said...

LATE Mike Yaconnelli??